Thursday, March 19, 2015
Another short break from painting flowers to show you what I made for Year of the Spark.
A few weeks ago, we got an assignment to do “wrapped animals.” You could either start from scratch using wire only, make a shape, and then wrap it.
Or, start with a stuffed animal, wrap it with wire to give it more shape, and then wrap it with cloth, etc.
I started with a stuffed hippo I got at the Goodwill for 50 cents. And, of course, I forgot to take a photo BEFORE I started … so … here is a little doodle of what it sort of looked like.
Orange, stubby legs, long black yarn tail. You know, just like a real hippo!
Here’s what I came out with in the end. This was hard! You should have heard the swearing early on!!
Then I left it out on my work table and the dog got hold of it. Most of the stuffed toys in the house are HERS so I can understand the confusion.
I had to start over again with the wrapping and the swearing. But then it got easier.
I gave the hippo longer legs and some antlers.
Yesterday, I finished it off with extra yarn embellishment. I had some old paper “beads” that I made years ago. I used them for a project and now they just sit in the drawer. So I added beads for a headdress and some more on the tail.
I like how it turned out but probably won’t be doing this again. I like working in 2D art, not 3D. Just not my thing.
Labels: year of the spark