Thursday, August 25, 2011

everyday object - coffee cup

Here’s another drawing of an everyday object. I love this little cup. It’s pretty and bright. It belongs to a set of four with matching bowls and plates.

I have to tell you a story about it…and why I like it so much.

Once upon a time, about a million years ago, I got married and acquired a set of dishes like every young bride of my generation. The dishes were blue and very ordinary looking. Then one day, the man left and the dishes stayed. I used the dishes for about 20 years. Then one day…seriously…one day I just got tired of looking at them. I don’t know what took me so long.

So I went to Penney’s and found these pretty and bright little dishes. On sale. The blue ordinary dishes were packed away. Since it was only my daughter and myself, a set of 4 dishes were plenty for us.

Then one by one I added a few more here and there. A new mug or bowl from a flea market. Some new bowls to use for pasta. Plates with fish on them…for fishy dinners. And I acquired a new husband who is handsome and likes my mismatched dishes.

Now I have place settings for about 10 people…not more than 4 match. It’s not like the Queen or the Pope ever drop by for dinner so I don’t really need fancy schmancy place settings.

I like my mismatched dishes. And that is the story of my little coffee cup. The end.

1 comment:

  1. I love the story of your dishes! And I love that they make you happy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.
You just made my day!!